Wednesday 17 August 2016

My Last Will and Testament

Why Now?

Because life is too short, and we don't know what's going to happen.

And because it might not be the final one. Every will is going to have that phrase "the last will and testament", but who knows when you'll make another one.

But if I were to die tomorrow, I would want my family to honour my wishes.

These wishes.

Remember, we are stars wrapped in skin.


So this is my will.

First, the preliminaries.

I am sane. I am a consenting adult. I make this of my own free will.

Then, my messages to my family.

To my parents, thank you for raising me. You showered me with love and generosity and you taught me how to be a man. I hope that I've improved over the years. Maturing like fine wine. Or maybe ageing like vinegar.

To my brother, thank you for sibling rivalry and thanks for making the effort to connect in the past few years. You turned out to be a fine man. I hope you make it big sometime.

To my wife, thank you for choosing me. Thank you for bearing our children. I'm sorry that I never made it big or struck it rich, but I tried.

To my children, I'm sorry that I couldn't leave you a large inheritance. What I lacked in financials, I hope I made up for in love. I hope that I've been an example for you.


Third, my trustee and executor.

I direct my brother to be my trustee and executor. 

But if he's dead, my wife should be my trustee and executrix. 

Unless she's married to someone else. Then I want one of my parents to be my trustee and executor.

Fourth, my assets.

My apartment I give to my children, with the condition that if money is tight, it should be sold. Out of the profits, repay my mother what she paid for this apartment. (When my mother retired a few years ago, she dumped her retirement gratuity into this home.)

My office I direct to be sold. My parents should be repaid what they paid on my behalf. Any proceeds left after that should be divided between my parents and my wife.

The little photo studio which I bought with my wife, I direct to be sold off. No need to service the loan. But first, return the deposit to my parents. Modus operandi as above.

Any other real estate, hold it in trust for the children. When the youngest one reaches 24, transfer it to all of them in equal shares. (You never know, I might get more real estate in the future.)

I have no cash to speak of. Most of it has gone to Ju-Ju-Be bags and family holidays. I hope that I've traded my cash for fond memories. Perhaps think of me when you use the bags.

My books should be donated to a rural library somewhere in East Malaysia. They need more reading materials.

Harvest my organs wherever possible and donate them to people who need them. At least a part of me will continue to live on in some other bodies.

Give me a funeral according to Christian rites.



Message from the Grave.

To my parents, I want you to know that I tried my best. I'm sorry if I didn't live up to your expectations. 

To my wife, I know the temptation to compare with your brothers-in-law. Some of them were wildly successful and owned houses that were large and spacious. Some of them could spend money on holidays and travels. I only bought diaper bags for you. I'm sorry.

But you should know that I was trying my best. I was trying to earn a living for the kids. 

And at the same time I was pursuing my doctorate. I was offered the MyPhD scholarship this year. But I postponed my studies because of our second kid. I could hardly read or write anything.

To my kids, I've done my part for society. I stood up whenever I had to. I helped people that you'll probably never hear from, because people just don't know how to say thanks. And because some people feel so ashamed for asking for help that when they get whatever they asked for, they slink away into the night and never come back with so much as thanks.

Never mind that some of them were quite rich and well-to-do.

You should know that I helped your great-grandmother turn her red I/C into a blue one. 

To my brother, you should find a nice girl and get married. Of course you should choose your wife carefully. But there comes a time when you need to stop choosing, because the ladies have a shelf life. No opportunity waits forever.

Thanks for reading.

Here are some other pieces from me.

No comments:

Popular Posts

Blog Archive

Giveaway of the Day

Giveaway of the Day