Sunday 4 March 2007

1914 Cable Machine Cost Only $10


Source: The Iron Barbell [link]

Old is still gold, or so I'm told,
And when I saw this, I was quite sold:
A marvellous charitable plan,
Affordable fitness for this humble man.
Think you twice before you decide,
That old is wrong and new is right.

...................................

A friend mentioned to me that his car was not functioning that well anymore, that it had trouble starting up. Definitely, it was a problem to do with the sensor or the starter. But he could not be sure. I told him that he should get the sensor and the starter both changed, but my friend thought that he had better sell the car, before it becomes any worse. His logic: Sell the car, and use the proceeds as downpayment for a new car. I felt that replacing something still usable is incurring unnecessary expenditure, but then again... We have that mindset about casting away our excess baggage.

Tonight was the celebration of Chap Goh Mei1, where lovely lasses of all sizes and ages threw mandarin oranges into a pond, some of which carried a telephone number scrawled by marker pen. These naive young ladies harbour high hopes that hopefully, their Prince Charming would pick it up, and spark a romance to last the ages. Truthfully, though, throwing your telephone number to the world at large on the rind of a mandarin orange is a foolhardy move, when you consider the following: Who will pick up my orange? Which guy? That guy? No, maybe his kid brother? Oh wait, neither one of them picked up my orange. Who's picking up my orange now? The MPPJ worker who cleans the pond in Taman Jaya the very next day, that's who. And pretty soon, you will get a phone call from "Muthu" or "Kassim" who will be only too happy to converse with you in his native language (and I doubt it would be English).

....................................

Notes

1. Chap Goh Mei has a website! For this, you can probably thank MCA. [link]

No comments:

Popular Posts

Blog Archive

Giveaway of the Day

Giveaway of the Day