there is a lovely glowing
in the orange purpled sky
and the whole world has been waiting
for this one moment
when the firecrackers spurt
to whiz into the deepening purple
and explode, a million variegated hues
and light up the sky
for one brief moment the colours
shoot across the cloudy night scape
and illuminate the hidden shapes
that stand by the roadside
and gape and gawk in awe
and the many different faces
that gaze towards the clouds tonight
impress on my still fogged up brain
that i am stepping on an earth
filled with different races
where many people work and live
and call this their home
though they be from many different countries
their homelands in states of disarray
yet they have made this place
this little know place
their home.
i saw a man carry his son atop his shoulders
as they both marvelled at the burstings of joy
and the air was filled with a rancid smell
the aftermath of the rocket launchers
that catapulted our hundred fireworks
into the intrepid sky
i saw indonesian women
laugh and make merry as they saw
my old jalopy of a junk
trawl upon the narrow roads
that bespoke of ancient history
and one lady was gaily chattering
upon her cellphone
the lifeline of a community to the world
and i imagined that this small and tight
ghetto of the finest human dignity
deserves much better than this
deserves to be given much better amenities
deserves much more than mere little squeezy roads
and shanty rickety houses made of cheap planks
and..
and...
but then i thought again
if these were upgraded
to a bustling brickwalled community
would then this present society
continue to exist
in the same vein
in the same manner
or would they become cold
and the mirth evaporate like dew
under the harshness of the sun...?
About Me
Popular Posts
-
Strange, but I thought that hip-hop used to be into jazz. I remember the group Jazzkantine. They're from Germany, and they fused jazz wi...
-
20 Years ago, I was just a teenager. And Oasis, a Brit-rock band, had just released their stellar album: What's the Story Morning Gl...
-
Quick Note: Absalom was a son of King David. This piece was based on his life as portrayed in the Bible. Absalom was David's fa...
-
On this occasion, I wish to say, May you have, a wonderful day! With food and flowers, Friends and lovers, And hor d'oeuvres... Here...
-
A little luxury car. There's a little logo on the boot that says "smart". Is it really smart? It's a failure. It seats two...
-
I stumbled across this article today: Lawyer-Turned-Entrepreneur: How the Collision of Diverse Careers can Blend into Success It was a ...
-
I'm currently doing some further study. One of the things I notice is, whenever we mention something to a professor, the next thing they...
-
I was fresh out of university. Then I got a job at the family firm. I had a million ideas, when I was back in university, about how I wou...
-
In the Feb 20th 2006 edition of the Philippine Daily Enquirer, the case of Araneta Institute of Agriculture (AIA) is highlighted. The Instit...
-
We went to a faraway court today. Today's session was to seek clarification on the consent order. It was in another state down South....
Blog Archive
Blogs I read (when I have time)
-
How to Quit Your 9-5 (The Smart Way)2 weeks ago
-
Bad Clients5 months ago
-
A Few Words On Healthcare1 year ago
-
The paradox of insular language3 years ago
-
The End of Blogging (for Me)3 years ago
-
The Only Person Fit to Be Mayor of NYC5 years ago
-
-
No comments:
Post a Comment