Sunday 13 April 2008

RAM for my IBM ThinkPad R51

My trusty old IBM ThinkPad R51 has been with me for quite a long time now. When I joined my dad's firm in 2003, I was using an old PC which was so slow that I used a different shell for Windows, just so that it would load faster. In those days, I was happy with Windows 98 with GeoShell on top. Most of my friends who dropped by my little cubicle were surprised to see that my Windows was "different". I guess, it was quite a good feeling being "different". At least I could show my IT background friends a thing or two about computing.

And then one day in 2004, my desktop PC at work died. The cause of death was "fried by lightning" -- lightning had shot through the wires and fried the power supply, the motherboard and the hard disk as well. They say that three is a lucky number, and so with that I set out to buy a new computer. As luck would have it, I decided to further my studies at Universiti Malaya, to pursue the Masters in Law (LLM). My dad offered to get me a laptop because my work would probably extend beyond office to the lecture hall. For PowerPoint presentations, a laptop would be ideal. (Imagine bringing your PowerPoint presentation on a USB disk and finding out that the computer at the lecture hall cannot access your USB disk?)

Anyway, the point of this long rant is that the ThinkPad R51 that I got at the time had only 512 MB of RAM. It still has 512 MB of RAM, because I haven't had the time to go upgrade it. One of these days, I'll bump up the allocation of RAM, because programs these days are quite RAM hungry. An example is GIMP, which I used to use. Its data files also require quite a lot of hard disk space. In the future I'll be good to myself and upgrade both the hard disk and the RAM. Ha ha.

Here's a little bookmark from me, to me.

  • IBM ThinkPad R51 (1829 1830-xxx) Memory Upgrades

    Looking through the options and the various questions posted online, it seems that I have to get PC 2700 DDR RAM (and not DDR2 RAM). This is confirmed in a forum.
  • No comments:

    Popular Posts

    Blog Archive

    Giveaway of the Day

    Giveaway of the Day