The next time somebody from China comes up to you at a petrol station and asks you if you’d like to buy a Samsung D600 sliding phone for RM500, in a whispery tone – The advice is “DO NOT”. Because the trick is to put the phone into his pocket, and pull out a dummy – one that can’t even be turned on. And that’s bad. You pay RM500 – or less, depending on your haggling skills – for a display dummy. Imitation is the best form of flattery, and he has imitated a man desperate for money, so that you feel confident that this is a man that you can bargain with. He imitates the haggling, knowing that whatever amount you hand him, is his gain and your pure loss. And he gives you the slip, by running away very quickly, and asking you to leave as quickly as possible, too.
The moral is that when a man offers you something far below the market value, knowing that the price you offer him is yet further discounted, there is something wrong. “It can’t be turned on and you need to fix it” sounds very plausible. But what is his proof? “I need to get rid of this real quick” sounds perfectly in keeping with his slimy way of talking. He creates a situation for you to believe that he is genuine, that the goods are genuine, and that things are what they seem to be. But they are not what they seem to be. At the end of the day, there remains only the dummy that you hold in your hand, and the realization that indeed – you, too, are a dummy. And however you look at the situation, the one who initiated the situation, can only be declared a winner. He planned those crucial few minutes, and acted out the lines with the professionalism of a Hollywood actor. You have only yourself to blame, and the expensive lesson to learn.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
About Me
Popular Posts
-
Strange, but I thought that hip-hop used to be into jazz. I remember the group Jazzkantine. They're from Germany, and they fused jazz wi...
-
20 Years ago, I was just a teenager. And Oasis, a Brit-rock band, had just released their stellar album: What's the Story Morning Gl...
-
Quick Note: Absalom was a son of King David. This piece was based on his life as portrayed in the Bible. Absalom was David's fa...
-
On this occasion, I wish to say, May you have, a wonderful day! With food and flowers, Friends and lovers, And hor d'oeuvres... Here...
-
A little luxury car. There's a little logo on the boot that says "smart". Is it really smart? It's a failure. It seats two...
-
I stumbled across this article today: Lawyer-Turned-Entrepreneur: How the Collision of Diverse Careers can Blend into Success It was a ...
-
this was from an sms reply i wrote to my friend. gua kat ss2, mau beli dvd satu, jumpa kawan dulu, lalu jemput minum milo. orangnya you kena...
-
This post regards a certain Buddhist temple in Jenjarom, modelled on a famous Buddhist Temple in Taiwan. The one in Jenjarom is called ...
-
I was fresh out of university. Then I got a job at the family firm. I had a million ideas, when I was back in university, about how I wou...
-
In the Feb 20th 2006 edition of the Philippine Daily Enquirer, the case of Araneta Institute of Agriculture (AIA) is highlighted. The Instit...
Blog Archive
Blogs I read (when I have time)
-
How to Quit Your 9-5 (The Smart Way)2 weeks ago
-
Bad Clients5 months ago
-
A Few Words On Healthcare1 year ago
-
The paradox of insular language3 years ago
-
The End of Blogging (for Me)3 years ago
-
The Only Person Fit to Be Mayor of NYC5 years ago
-
-

No comments:
Post a Comment