Just a week ago, I represented a client at the KL sessions (criminal) courts. After a night of preparing cross-examination questions, I was appalled to discover that the client (assigned to me care of Legal Aid Centre) wanted to plead guilty. "Fear of punitive sentencing," he mentioned in Indonesian. And so -- PG it was, in compliance with the client's instructions.
The injustice referred to above was in the process of PG. The charges were read out to him. He was asked by the interpreter if he admitted to the crime. Yes, he said, I admit. He was then informed of the penalties. Then he was asked again -- do you admit? Yes, he said, I admit.
It was at that point that the injustice occurred. The PO (Prosecuting Officer) tendered "Facts" and exhibits. "Facts", which were a one-sided story. Facts, which stated that my client had the drugs in hand when he was caught. Facts, which contradicted my client's statement (as per the interview I conducted at Sungai Buloh prison) that the drugs were in a bag, about ten metres away when he was caught.
My client nodded his head when he was asked if he agreed to the facts and the exhibits. My immediate question: Was my client agreeing because he had told me an untrue version, or was he agreeing because he was pleading guilty? (And thought that agreeing to the facts was part of pleading guilty?)
Methinks an appeal may lie from this case. But the Legal Aid Centre should engage another lawyer to represent this client on appeal.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
About Me
Popular Posts
-
Strange, but I thought that hip-hop used to be into jazz. I remember the group Jazzkantine. They're from Germany, and they fused jazz wi...
-
20 Years ago, I was just a teenager. And Oasis, a Brit-rock band, had just released their stellar album: What's the Story Morning Gl...
-
Quick Note: Absalom was a son of King David. This piece was based on his life as portrayed in the Bible. Absalom was David's fa...
-
On this occasion, I wish to say, May you have, a wonderful day! With food and flowers, Friends and lovers, And hor d'oeuvres... Here...
-
A little luxury car. There's a little logo on the boot that says "smart". Is it really smart? It's a failure. It seats two...
-
I stumbled across this article today: Lawyer-Turned-Entrepreneur: How the Collision of Diverse Careers can Blend into Success It was a ...
-
I'm currently doing some further study. One of the things I notice is, whenever we mention something to a professor, the next thing they...
-
I was fresh out of university. Then I got a job at the family firm. I had a million ideas, when I was back in university, about how I wou...
-
In the Feb 20th 2006 edition of the Philippine Daily Enquirer, the case of Araneta Institute of Agriculture (AIA) is highlighted. The Instit...
-
We went to a faraway court today. Today's session was to seek clarification on the consent order. It was in another state down South....
Blog Archive
Blogs I read (when I have time)
-
How to Quit Your 9-5 (The Smart Way)2 weeks ago
-
Bad Clients5 months ago
-
A Few Words On Healthcare1 year ago
-
The paradox of insular language3 years ago
-
The End of Blogging (for Me)3 years ago
-
The Only Person Fit to Be Mayor of NYC5 years ago
-
-
No comments:
Post a Comment