Recently, I attended the National Unity Forum, organised by Jabatan Perpaduan Negara (Prime Minister's Department). Mr. Philip Koh spoke on the Rukunegara and its diminished value. Yes, he said, Rukunegara was spawned in response to May 13th, 1969 (the mass riots that massacred many an unsuspecting Chinese in Kuala Lumpur). The Rukunegara was a document forged in response to the terrible events that were to be a fearful memory for many Chinese and a warning to the non-Malays in the country.
Yet today, the Rukunegara is severely neglected.
I asked a question at the Q & A slot.
"Mr. Philip Koh:
Indonesia has the Pancasila, Islam has Maqasid as-Syariah and Malaysia has the Rukunegara. I agree that it is a useful aid in interpreting the Constitution. Do you agree that it is time we recognised that the Rukunegara is a constitutional document, and it should be made the preamble of our Constitution?"
Mr. Philip Koh answered:
1. Constitutional documents are very important,
2. The Rukunegara may, in fact, be a convention and not a constitutional document, and
3. Inserting the Rukunegara into the Constitution may be useful, but
4. If it is not heeded, it remains dead letter law.
What do you think?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
About Me
Popular Posts
-
Strange, but I thought that hip-hop used to be into jazz. I remember the group Jazzkantine. They're from Germany, and they fused jazz wi...
-
A little luxury car. There's a little logo on the boot that says "smart". Is it really smart? It's a failure. It seats two...
-
Golden Rules of Business Success The Twelve Golden Rules are as follows: Ability to know people's character. You must perceive ...
-
Quick Note: Absalom was a son of King David. This piece was based on his life as portrayed in the Bible. Absalom was David's fa...
-
watts and volts like nuts and bolts secure and hold things under control. volts and watts like urban nuts deny the past and seek the chance ...
-
The next time somebody from China comes up to you at a petrol station and asks you if you’d like to buy a Samsung D600 sliding phone for RM5...
-
Suze Orman was a prominent, perky personality that I got to know recently. She made my trip to Kuala Terengganu seem a little more hopeful. ...
-
20 Years ago, I was just a teenager. And Oasis, a Brit-rock band, had just released their stellar album: What's the Story Morning Gl...
-
as the days go by i see my elders die and the question forms: are they for me to mourn? i think about the truth translated from hebrew that ...
-
like a pupil waiting for the master's cane i stand aghast to wince before i feel the pain. with outstretched open palm and face portrayi...
Blog Archive
Blogs I read (when I have time)
-
Pat Flynn’s rule: count uploads, not likes3 weeks ago
-
Bad Clients5 months ago
-
A Few Words On Healthcare1 year ago
-
The paradox of insular language3 years ago
-
The End of Blogging (for Me)3 years ago
-
The Only Person Fit to Be Mayor of NYC5 years ago
-
-
No comments:
Post a Comment