Article 11 in the Malaysian Federal Constitution states that all citizens have the right to freedom of religion. On 23rd February 2009, it was reported that Datuk Seri Mohamed Nazri Aziz, Minister in the Prime Minister's Department, said that there is nothing to stop a Muslim from leaving the religion of Islam. However, the existing legal provisions must apply to the intending apostate before he is able to qualify under the law. (Source: The Edge Daily, 23rd February 2009. Government cannot stop a Muslim from conversion if procedures adhered, no plans to amend Article 11. URL : http://www.theedgedaily.com/cms/content.jsp?id=com.tms.cms.article.Article_a2934d82-cb73c03a-1a8402c0-b3e62339)
On the 24th of February 2009, Datuk Seri Mohamed Nazri Aziz clarified his statement when he said that Muslims cannot renouce Islam at will as it would cause chaos within the country. Instead laws must be complied with. He clarified that there were merely procedures to comply with. (Source: The Edge Daily, 24th February 2009. Nazri: Muslims cannot convert at will. URL: http://www.theedgedaily.com/cms/content.jsp?id=com.tms.cms.article.Article_a63531d0-cb73c03a-1a8402c0-70f169ca)
Bernama reported that the Government had no plans to amend Article 11. (Source: Bernama, 23rd February 2009. No plan to amend article 11(1) - Nazri. URL: http://www.bernama.com/bernama/v5/newsgeneral.php?id=391666 )
The Star reported on 24th February 2009 that Article 11(1) of the Federal Constitution does not cover Muslims. (Source: The Star, 24th February 2009. Clause doesn't cover Muslims. URL: http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2009/2/24/parliament/3330271&sec=parliament)
The question in this country is how many Muslims actually wish to change their religion. Information will have to be obtained in good time.
Wednesday, 25 February 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
About Me
Popular Posts
-
Strange, but I thought that hip-hop used to be into jazz. I remember the group Jazzkantine. They're from Germany, and they fused jazz wi...
-
20 Years ago, I was just a teenager. And Oasis, a Brit-rock band, had just released their stellar album: What's the Story Morning Gl...
-
Quick Note: Absalom was a son of King David. This piece was based on his life as portrayed in the Bible. Absalom was David's fa...
-
On this occasion, I wish to say, May you have, a wonderful day! With food and flowers, Friends and lovers, And hor d'oeuvres... Here...
-
A little luxury car. There's a little logo on the boot that says "smart". Is it really smart? It's a failure. It seats two...
-
I stumbled across this article today: Lawyer-Turned-Entrepreneur: How the Collision of Diverse Careers can Blend into Success It was a ...
-
In the Feb 20th 2006 edition of the Philippine Daily Enquirer, the case of Araneta Institute of Agriculture (AIA) is highlighted. The Instit...
-
This post regards a certain Buddhist temple in Jenjarom, modelled on a famous Buddhist Temple in Taiwan. The one in Jenjarom is called ...
-
I was fresh out of university. Then I got a job at the family firm. I had a million ideas, when I was back in university, about how I wou...
-
That’s why there was March 8, 2008. That’s why race-based politics will fade and die. Anyone who ignores them – opposition or government – d...
Blog Archive
Blogs I read (when I have time)
-
How to Quit Your 9-5 (The Smart Way)2 weeks ago
-
Bad Clients5 months ago
-
A Few Words On Healthcare1 year ago
-
The paradox of insular language3 years ago
-
The End of Blogging (for Me)3 years ago
-
The Only Person Fit to Be Mayor of NYC5 years ago
-
-
No comments:
Post a Comment